Have you ever borrowed money from a financial institution? Have they warned that you will be placed in CRB if you do not pay? A credit reference bureau (CRB) is an institution that collects information about the financial credibility of individuals from financial institutions.
Individual consumers get their credit information from the CRB for various reasons. When you default payments for loans to any lender, you can be reported to the CRB. If you are listed in CRB, you will not be to borrow loans from any financial institution in Kenya.
In Kenya, government institutions and private employers require candidates to get clearance from the CRB before they are employed. This ensures that you are creditworthy before you are considered for a job.
Why do you need a clearance certificate from a credit institution?
A CRB clearance certificate is generally issued upon request for the following reasons:
- Request from a financial institution
- Job application
- Tender processes
If you do not have a negative listing on your credit report, you will get a clearance certificate. If you have a negative listing on your credit report, you will be issued a credit status certificate.
To obtain a clearance from the CRB, you need to apply through a licensed CRB institution. The three CRB institutions that have been licensed to operate in Kenya are:
- Metropol Corporation
- TransUnion Africa
- Creditinfo Kenya
You can apply for a CRB clearance certificate from any of these institutions. Each one of them has its own steps of application.
How to Obtain a CRB certificate from Metropol Corporation
To get a certificate of clearance from CRB through Metropol, you need to follow the following steps:
- Dial *433# on your mobile phone using Safaricom line
- Enter your National ID Number
- Enter an agent number if you were referred by a Metropol agent else enter zero (0) to proceed
- Confirm your details to complete the registration process
- Pay Ksh 100 as registration fees through the Paybill number 220388 and use your National ID number as the account number
- You will receive an SMS with Crystobol PIN
- Visit the Metropol website
- Enter your PIN
- Select ‘Clearance Certificate’
- Pay Ksh 2,200 for the certificate through the Paybill number 220388
- Follow the instructions provided to download your clearance certificate
How to Get CRB Clearance Certificate from Creditinfo Kenya
- Go to https://ke.creditinfo.com/
- Click on “Clearance Certificate” on the homepage.
- Click on “Personal Clearance Certificate” if you are applying for an individual or “Company Clearance Certificate” if you are applying for a company.
- Fill the form provided with your personal information. You will be required to provide the following information:
- Full Name
- National ID number
- Mobile Number
- Photo of National ID
- Reason for applying for a clearance certificate
- Click submit. You will receive an email instructing you to make the required payment.
- Make payment of KES 2,200 via M-Pesa paybill as instructed and wait for your clearance certificate to be sent to your email.